When to See a Cardiovascular Doctor Instead of a Vascular Doctor

At first glance, cardiovascular care and vascular care may seem the same, but they are two dramatically different healthcare services that focus on different problems. Learning the differences between the two types of services can help you determine whether you should see a cardiovascular doctor or a vascular doctor.

What is Heart Care?

Heart care is the specific term used to describe medical care or services that are focused solely upon problems involving the heart. This includes problems with the blood vessels and arteries in and around the heart.

A number of different doctors can provide heart care. Doctors that provide heart care include:

  • Cardiologists
  • Cardiovascular doctors
  • Heart surgeons
  • Pediatric cardiologists
  • Interventional cardiologists

The main goal of heart care services is to help patients maintain their cardiovascular health. It is also designed to help possibly prevent or delay the occurrence of heart disease or other cardiovascular problems, such as heart attacks and strokes.

Some of the services that a cardiologist at a heart care clinic may provide include:

  • Preventive cardiology
  • Carotid ultrasound
  • Interventional cardiology
  • Echocardiography
  • Electrocardiography (EKG or ECG)
  • Impedance cardiography
  • Holter monitoring

What is Vascular Care?

Vascular care is focused upon managing and treating problems that occur with your circulation. In particular, the arteries and veins located in the neck, arms, and legs. Vascular care is often provided by vascular surgeons, vein surgeons, or vein doctors.

While there are veins and arteries that lead to the heart and surround the heart, those are typically reserved for heart care. Think of vascular care as focusing on all the blood vessels, arteries, veins, and capillaries that circulate blood throughout the body.

Some of the services that are provided by vein doctors include:

  • Venous duplex scanning
  • Sclerotherapy
  • Wound care
  • Venefit
  • Clarivein
  • VenaSeal

When to See a Cardiovascular Doctor vs. Vein Doctor

Many clinics provide both heart and vein care services which makes it difficult to determine what type of doctor you should see for treatment.

Patients with the following problems should consider seeing a vein doctor:

  • Spider veins
  • Varicose veins
  • Blockages within the veins
  • Lymphedema

Patients with the following problems should consider seeing a cardiologist:

  • Extremely high cholesterol
  • Uncontrolled high blood pressure
  • Family history of heart disease
  • Previous history of heart attacks, strokes, or problems with arteries leading to and from the heart

Premier Heart & Vein Care, located in San Luis Obispo, California, provides both heart care and vein care. Whether you need to have an EKG performed or you want to treat your varicose veins, our medical team is here to help. Call our office today to book an appointment with our cardiovascular doctor or vein doctor.

Schedule a Consultation

* All indicated fields must be completed.
Please include non-medical questions and correspondence only.

Office Information

Mon - Thur: 7:30am - 5:30pm
Fri - Sun: Closed

Follow Us

Accessibility Toolbar

Scroll to Top