As we age, our veins age with us. In the legs, this can lead to the development of varicose veins, the bulging, unsightly, raised purple and blue veins running atop our calves and thighs. Usually too large to be treated with standard liquid sclerotherapy, Dr. Stevens often removes varicose veins with radiofrequency ablation.
But he also has another tool for treating these ugly, and sometimes painful, veins on our legs. It’s called Varithena®, a microfoam that is injected directly into the vein to close it off, so the body redirects the blood into adjacent healthy veins.
What is Varithena?
Varithena® is a prescription medicine used to treat varicose veins caused by problems with the great saphenous vein (GSV) and other veins in the legs. Varithena® is made from polidocanol injectable foam. It is the only FDA-approved foam used to treat varicose veins.
Who is a good candidate for Varithena?
Anyone who has varicose veins is a great candidate for these treatments at Premier Heart & Vein Care. The common risk factors for developing varicose veins include:
- Family history
- Being overweight or obese
- Working at jobs requiring prolonged standing
- Women during hormonal changes, such as pregnancy or menopause
The only patients not eligible to have Varithena® are those who are allergic to polidocanol and those who have blood clots in their blood vessels.
What are the advantages of using Varithena to close varicose veins?
These are some of the reasons Dr. Stevens added Varithena® to his varicose vein treatment options. Varithena®…
- Is effective for treating veins of different sizes above and below the knee
- Requires no incisions, sedation, or general anesthesia
- Is useful with patients with needle phobia
- Is administered in as little as one or two needle sticks per treatment, instead of multiple sticks required for anesthesia with radiofrequency ablation
- Does not use heat, eliminating the risk of thermal injury
- Does not use glue, leaving no foreign bodies in the vein
Do you have some varicose veins that are causing discomfort or you want to remove for cosmetic reasons? Call Dr. Stevens at Premier Heart & Vein Care, (805) 540-3333, to make an appointment.