Facial Redness, Spider Veins, and Professional Advice
No one wants to look in the mirror and see that their face looks red and blotchy, yet chronic facial redness plagues many men and women of all ages. Let’s take a look at the core causes of facial redness and what you can do to treat this uncomfortable condition.
What Causes Facial Redness?
Facial redness is usually caused by a condition called telangiectasia. This occurs when blood vessels become widened or damaged in some way and show up as overall facial redness or blue, purple, or red lines on the face. These “spider veins” as they are also referred to, become apparent because the broken blood vessels are close to the surface of the skin.
Why People Get Spider Veins in Their Face
There are a number of reasons why spider veins on the face may appear. For most people, the main cause can be traced back to one of the following:
- Weather or pressure changes: Especially when they happen all of a sudden, extreme changes in the weather or pressure can sometimes alter the body’s circulation. This can burst blood vessels. Likewise, if you suddenly sneeze in a violent way or cough hard for a long period of time, blood vessels may also end up bursting and cause redness.
- Excessive exposure to the sun: Being in the sun for a long period of time can cause blood vessels to burst.
- Genetics: If your parent or grandparent struggled with this problem, chances are you may too.
- Pollutants and irritants in the environment: Exposure to certain chemicals can damage blood vessels and cause them to become more obvious.
- Rosacea: Those who struggle with rosacea (redness caused by enlarged veins) may also struggle with broken veins.
Tips on Prevention & Slowing the Damage
Here are our top tips on preventing and slowing the progression of spider veins and redness:
- Drink alcohol only in moderation
- Wear sunscreen and protective clothing when out in the sun
- When playing sports and doing other physical activities, wear the proper protective gear and helmets
- Avoid drastic changes in heat
- Seek medical assistance as soon as you notice serious signs of chronic redness and spider veins
Common Treatments for Redness Due to Spider Veins
Specialized vein treatment in San Luis, CA can help diminish or eradicate the appearance of spider veins and facial redness. Your unique condition will first be assessed and diagnosed before a focused treatment plan is created for you. This plan may include non-invasive treatments such as laser therapy, sclerotherapy, intense pulsed light, and other solutions.
Get Treatment at Premier Heart & Vein Care in California
No matter what vein-related challenges you’re facing, our staff at Premier Heart & Vein Care will do our best to provide you with the best-quality care and service.
Dr. Ken Stevens is a board-certified internal medicine, phlebology, and cardiovascular disease doctor. His extensive experience and expertise in the fields of cardiovascular treatment and varicose vein and venous insufficiency treatment have made him a premier physician in these areas.
If you are struggling with varicose veins or venous insufficiency, contact us today to learn about our treatment plans and book an appointment.